Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Snapshot Tuesday: The Aftermath

Well, we fared pretty well here in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, but the same can not be said for my beloved New York City.  Sadly, as I type this, 18 lives have been lost in the city alone, nearly 80 homes were destroyed by a fire in Queens, major flooding ravaged lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, and subways near the Battery and Ground Zero are still under several feet of water.  It's so sad to watch the pictures and videos of familiar places nearly unrecognizable now, destroyed or under water. 

Thankfully, we got a call from our tenants this morning saying that they were fine and our condo was not damaged save for a collapsed backyard fence compliments of Sandy's 90+ mile per hour winds.  Nothing a hammer and a few nails can't fix.  Our old neighbors and my cousin were equally lucky, although my cousin is still without power in lower Manhattan having been one of numerous victims of the huge Con Edison plant explosion last night.

My heart goes out to all those who suffered loss and damage during this storm, from North Carolina to Canada.  It's just all so unbelievably sad. But I watched several friends and family members rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, and I know it can and will be done again by those living along the East Coast. Just stay strong! 

That said, in an effort to honor Snapshot Tuesday, I leave you with a few photos of post-Sandy New York.*


This was actually taken in Hoboken, NJ just across the Hudson River
from Manhattan.  The city is still under water.


Jane's Carousel in DUMBO in Brooklyn. 
 
The Jet Blue tarmac at LaGuardia airport.

Lower East Side in Manhattan.

 
And the city goes dark.

 * I did not take any of these photographs.  I do not own them.  I gathered them all from public, online sources.*

No comments:

Post a Comment